/

This magnificent sunlit hall (55 square metres) with its soaring, cathedral-like beamed ceiling was originally a three-storey barn with an earth floor. We have converted it into a spacious dining room and a place for large and convivial gatherings. Click here for a plan of Le Grand Salon.

We added a minstrels’ gallery and laid a stone flag floor using tiles and flagstones recovered from elsewhere on the property. The stone arch that once housed the gigantic barn doors has the date 1775 incised into the stone. This opening looks out onto the orchard that was, according to an historian friend, the site of the Coutarnoux abbey fishpond in medieval times.

Lit by huge, antique Regency lanterns, the hall has become the perfect setting for our favourite large scale paintings and furniture. It is furnished with a long dining table and chairs, a Burgundian armoire and a lit Napoleon III. The oriental rugs were gathered on our travels. A large screen TV for watching DVDs and broadcast TV adds a modern touch. Comfortable sofas and armchairs cluster around the large wood burning stove which pumps out heat.

Le Grand Salon is accessed from the kitchen.  It works particularly well for large groups of family or friends and as the ideal place to celebrate special occasions.

Burgundy Hols
Burgundy Hols